Thursday, July 12, 2007

Where's the Love?!?!

After a long day at work and an even longer night performing manual labor (vacuuming, drinking a beer, touching up paint,...) at my sister's place, I finally had a chance to talk to Loverboy. I was nice enough to wait until Top Chef was over and yet he seemed upset. Maybe upset is not the right word...preoccupied maybe. The red flag shot up when I realized he was not in the least bit excited about the episode he had just watched. Usually aftwer we finish watching it, we have a little recap together and then predict who we think will be eliminated next week. We didn't do that last night. Instead, he listened to me go on and on about my sister's place and my newfound excitement for my own move. He was putting off this weird vibe that I needed to replace by gabbing incesintly. As I paused, I asked him about his day and if he wanted to talk about something. He said no so I went on. This is how the end of the conversation went:

Me: Oh, I'm so excited about this weekend! I just can't wait to see you and finally be alone with you!

Him (unphased by my excitement): I was invited to a BBQ at one of my professors' houses. It's at 3 on Sunday.

Me (caught off guard): Al-riiiight?

Him: I have to RSVP by tomorrow.

Me (still not sure how to respond): Ooookay?

Him: Well I don't know what to do.

Me: Baby, that's fine I'll just leave before 3.

Him: Well, ugh. I'm going to bed. Good night.

Me (thinking what the hell just happened?!?! I don't like this conversation one bit! No I love you? No I'm sorry for thinking that my time on Sunday would be better spent at a BBQ with the people I am going to be with everyday for the next 4 years of my life instead of cherishing my last hours with my girlfriend?): Night.

My initial thought after getting off the phone was, that little shit doesn't know I took off all day Friday so I can get there early and surprise him! Maybe I should just work all day in spite. Nah that would definitely punish me more than him. If he wants to go to this BBQ so bad then why doesn't he ask if his girlfriend that he nevers sees can come? What is so special about this BBQ anyway? Are the contestants from Top Chef doing the BBQing?!?!?

Doubt it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! So you never did say what happened! You must do an update and tell what happened!!

Gypsy Queen said...

Update: We ended up going to the BBQ together after we saw the new Harry Potter movie together (which was wonderful even though I have never seen the other movies or read any of the books...yet). The first half hour or so was a little uncomfortable because nobody really talked to us. It turns out science geeks are very anti-social. Eventually one of his friends and his girlfriend showed up and we hung out with them for about an hour. I was glad I got to at least meet them so I have a visual of who he spends his time with. It wasn't the best time we've ever had nor was it anywhere near it, but we went together and that was what mattered in the end.