Friday, July 6, 2007

Pulling out the Big Guns

After one and a half days of doing nothing but searching the internet for obscure entertainment instead of working, I have decided to sneak out early today. Nobody is here and there is nothing for me to pretend to do! I decided to leave for my lunch break and then not come back. If my boss was here I would ask her and she would agree without even thinking about it. There is only one other guy in my aisle today. He's too busy with his tobacco to bother looking over here. Whenever I think about my loneliness at work, I am reminded of an episode of Friends in which Jason Alexander made an appearance. Phoebe was working as a phone salesman and she happened to call him while he was at work in an office. I believe he was the office supply manager. Regardless, the point is that his job was so meaningless to everyone else there that nobody noticed him and his suicidal outbursts. I'm not saying I have the same outbursts...if anything mine are giggle-filled. I just have this nagging feeling that nobody would notice if I left.

I tried testing my theory a few weeks ago. My contacts were bothering me to the max and since I only live a couple miles down the road, I drove home and switched my contacts for glasses. I was gone for nearly half an hour. I came back wearing glasses and nobody noticed. They were flashy glasses, too, with little fake diamonds on the sides. Nobody said a thing.

Today is the ultimate test. I already packed up my stuff and as soon as I close this window, I will be heading for the door.

No comments: