Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Unhappy Hostess

One of my best friends, Beautiful Lady, snagged herself a man about a month ago. This is her first relationship in over 2 years so I was really happy for her...until I met him last night. He has a really rough past, that to me seems to still be the present. He was not the nice, clean cut, well-mannered guy you bring home to mommy. He was the pierced, long-haired guy you bring over to your friend's house. First impressions are huge with me as well as with most people so I would think that he would put his best foot forward and try to impress his girlfriend's best friend. This is how the night went:

My parents are out of town for a couple of days and as per usual I invited BL over to hang out. She asked if she could bring her man and a 12-pack. I planned on having a beer or two already so I agreed that it was fine. While she was busy picking her man up (that's right, he does not have a car) I was tutoring. On my home, she called to say it was taking her longer than she thought and she asked me to pick up some beer. I didn't mind picking it up at the time, but on my home I recalled the numerous nights in the past that she had been running late, sticking me with beer expenses for the night. In the meantime, my sister was at my house packing the last of her odds n ends into her car.

Although BL was running late, she still got to my house before me so as I pulled into my driveway I was welcomed by her and her man macking on my front porch. Upon first glance, I could not tell which of the figures was her as his hair was just as long if not longer than hers. When they pulled apart I had to look for the figure with the bigger chest. As I get out of my car, I have a few things from the grocery store (a 12-pack of beer and my two boxes of Cheez-Its that I bought buy one get one free). Neither of them offer to help me carry my items (Strike ONE). Right after opening our first beers (which neither of them offered to reimburse me for...I'll call that a foul) my sister walks out carrying the first of several heavy boxes to her car. Instead of offering, BL's man has to be persuaded to help her carry some of the boxes. He carried one (Strike TWO). While I helped my sister, BL and her man canoodled in the garage while drinking their free beers. After my sister left, we started to relax and I suggested ordering a pizza. BL's man then makes the comment that he is not really hungry and says he only has plastic anyway. BL says she'll be his sugar momma for the night, his response was to chuckle then stick his tongue down her throat in front of me...her statement becomes meaningless because we ended up cooking one of my parents' frozen pizzas and she did not pay for his portion of the beer. Unless they went somewhere after my house, her sugar momma statement was completely moot.

After BL's man and I finished the pizza (I had three slices, he ate the rest....not hungry my ass), he opened one of my boxes of Cheez-Its and munched on them while sipping his delicious beer (Strike THREE...he's outta there).

I wasn't planning on being a hostess last night. I didn't plan on providing food and drinks for everyone. If I was, then I would have purchased the lower end cheap beer and imitation snack crackers.

Bottom line: I am miffed that I bought their beer when I had my own at home. Together, they drank roughly 14 beers (they tapped into my dad's) and neither offered reimbursements. I've seen this type of behavior from her in the past so I was not too surprised from her. On the other hand, I would think she would want to prove her decency to her new man by offering to pay me back. The same goes for him. The only conclusion that I can come up with is that neither cares whether or not their partner thinks they are decent. That sucks.

BL if you are reading this, I accept payments by check or cash.

2 comments:

Bee said...

I think everybody has a friend like that. Next time tell them they have to give you 2 bucks before they open a beer! :o)

Anonymous said...

That sucks! But Bee is right. Everyone has a friend like that.

I would just call next time and say YOU are running late and have her pick up the expensive stuff ;-)