Saturday, January 26, 2008

Hey Doc, Does This Look Normal to You?

It's that time of year again. Time for a check-up, that is. I finally found a gynecologist that I like a couple of years ago, but unfortunately I cannot afford to fly her here to give me a physical. Before I make an appointment with a new doctor, I want to get some recommendations from my friends. I feel more comfortable going in knowing that the doctor does not come off as creepy.

A few nights ago I asked one of my roomies if she has a gynecologist in the area.

Her response: an appalled look on her face followed by a sharp, "Um, noooo."

My response: "Alright then, um thanks."

What I really wanted to say was, "Hellllllooo! You're 25 years old and you don't have a gynecologist?!?!? You need to get yourself checked out!!!"

It turns out that she has never been to a gyno. Why? Apparently it is because she has never had sex. The gyno is not a sex doctor! That is definitely not the only reason to have check-ups! I wanted to smack her in the face and shake her back into reality!

I have been going to the gyno regularly since I was 16. Not one of my appointments were for sexual reasons. If anything, I have gone just to get the added reassurance that my body is normal. I keep having this reoccurring thought that when she finally does have her first experience at the gyno, she's going to be traumatized.

Is anyone else bothered by this? Isn't it the rule of thumb for women to have regular check-ups after the age of 18 if not earlier? Could it be a religous thing?

1 comment:

Pokey Puppy said...

I think it probably could be. Who knows. And i think they say from 16 on. And no doubt. some guy sticking a duck bill in you is traumatizing at 16 I cant imagine what it would be like to wait till 25!!