Monday, August 27, 2007

Sugar and Molasses!!! Oh, Ruthie

Isn't it weird how our memories work? Why is it that I can never remember the things I am supposed to when the time calls for it? Why is it that I recall the most random memories at the most random moments?

This weekend, I realized I had a little extra money than I had thought so I decided to go to Wal-mart and buy a vacuum I found on sale. Obviously, there were other factors that went into that decision: we have two cats and no vacuum, our carpets are dirty, we apparently have cockroaches living with us, Loverboy is coming to visit this week (YIPPEE!) and I don't want him to think I'm not domesticated enough, oh and we have two cats and no vacuum. When I walked into the store, I got this flashback of the times my family would go to Wal-mart when I was a kid. I kept replaying the handful of times we went to the same store and went to the same cashier. Her name was Ruthie and she was blonde and wore really thick glasses and whenever she messed up she would say "Sugar and molasses!" For awhile after our first encounter with her, my sister and I would repeat after her when we were joking around. I had to have been around 7 or 8 at the time so it's funny that I remember her.

Anyway, I bought a vacuum!!! It is technically my first appliance (I bought a toaster oven and when I found out my roomies already had one, I gave it to Loverboy to break in before we move in together). It's a bagless Bissell. I put it together as soon as I got home and went to work on my bedroom. The canister was full after just vacuuming my room!! I was disgusted with myself for not realizing I had been living amongst all that filth for the past few weeks. After I finished my room, I went to work on the rest of the downstairs, which is a combination of a living room and dining room and a small entrance way. Once again, I had filled the canister. It was amazing how much the vacuuming had transformed the downstairs. I'm thinking about doing it once more before Loverboy gets here on Wednesday. We'll see.

I have my first homework date tonight! It's with a guy named Joe. Don't worry, he's not attracted to females and I'm not attracted to anybody other than Loverboy (nor am I attracted to males that are not attracted to females). We have 3 classes together so he is my bffn (best friend for now; I learned that on the Sweet Sixteen movie on MTV) in the mathematics department.

For the second weekend in a row, one of my roomies got so trashed that she had to be taken care of. Last weekend it was Skinny P and this weekend it Southern R, the college football loving, boy crazy roomie. She went to one of her friends houses to hang out and eat pizza, but in a bout of feeling sorry for herself (she's not married yet and therefore cannot f*ck...her exact words when she drunk dialed me) she drank at least 2 bottles of wine by herself. Luckily, she got all the vomit out before she was dropped off at home. She was by far the funniest drunk person I have been around in a long time. One instance of her funny behavior: she wore a dress that night and, as I am assuming most southern girls do, she wore a slip skirt under the dress. As soon as she walked in the door, we took her soaked dress (soaked from falling in the yard) off of her and sat her down so we could put a shirt on her. She refused to let us put a shirt on and in defiance, she stood up then quickly fell over the arm of the couch, revealing the fact that she was not wearing undies under her slip. Skinny P and I could do nothing but laugh so hard that we cried. That was the first time I got a kick out of taking care a drunk friend.

2 comments:

Pokey Puppy said...

LMAO.. ahh the good college times.. i never experienced them so i'm loving hearing about them!

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO.

That is hilarious!