Saturday, August 11, 2007

I Wonder Where I Can Buy a Kite

Why aren't playgrounds made for adults? I wish I could just run across the street and sit on a swing without it breaking. I would pump my legs just as my dad taught me when I was young and forget about everything while letting the wind hit my face and blow my hair back. Instead, we have theme parks made for us. Don't get me wrong, theme parks are great, but they have nothing on playgrounds. I don't want to pay $50+ to wait in a line for 2 hours for a 30 second thrill. All anticipation is lost while waiting in line. That should count for half the fun!

I can remember the way my heart pounded when I was a kid as I climbed up the stairs to go down the big slide. I remember the fear of knowing that nobody would be down there to catch me when I came down. I also remember knowing that I would be fine when I landed.


I have that same fear now. Nobody is standing at the end waiting to catch me. I do not know what will happened when I land. No adult does. Dammit! That is why we need playgrounds so we can release some of this fear.

I signed up for my first classes as a graduate student today. I have a full schedule as I suspected. I'm not nervous about the classes. I'm nervous about becoming an adult. I'm nervous about being alone. I'm nervous about losing the few strong relationships I have been lucky enough to make back home. I wonder if it would have been better for me to move away as an undergrad. I am glad I didn't move away while I was an undergrad. If I had, then I would not be anywhere near where I am today (emotionally...not physically).

As if choosing which classes would consume my life for the next few months wasn't hard enough, the University had to make it even more strenuous. I signed online to click the courses I want and immediately I was kicked off. I was FLAGGED! Instant reaction: WHAAA??!!? WTF?!?!? Then I noticed the tiny red letter at the bottom of the screen that said "Click me if you want to get pissed" (not quite, but it's my story). I clicked on the red letters to find out that the Health Center did not have any of Chicken Pox records. Instant reaction: WHAAA??!!? WTF?!?!? I paid (maybe?) to have my old university fax my records over in June, why wasn't that on there? I know I had the pox, I might be able to find some scars if I looked hard enough. Maybe I have a picture? After desperately waiting on hold for 10 minutes just to get hung up on, I called back to talk to the head honcho of medical records at the Health Center. She finally took of the flag on my account and let me register, but as usual there is a catch...I have to submit to a blood test tomorrow so they can test it for the pox.

There you have it...I had to shed blood, sweat and [many] tears to get here so this better damn well be worth it!

Peace on Earth. <-------I'm trying to fit in with the tree-huggers here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((((((((Gyps)))))))))

Who says playgrounds aren't for adults?

Wanna know a secret? When I have a really bad day and need away from it all...I find the nearest playground and hit the swings. Ever since moved away to Virginia after high school. Nothing calms me or makes me find my center again.

We have to be act like adults 99% of the time so I figure the world can forgive me the other 1% ;-)

And if nothing else...at least you'll know you won't get the pox ;-)

Anonymous said...

The first lessons learned at the playground are taught with blood.
- Determining how fast to run around the turnstile without landing on your face
- What is the right moment to launch off a high flying swing
- What is the proper surface temperature for wearing shorts down a long slide

Before the fun can really begin, most children 'donate blood' through skinned knees, bloody noses, and rug/slide burns. Thankfully, after a kiss, hug, and a band aid most move beyond those initial fears and tears, and the true magic begins.

So my advice? Offer your arm boldly to the evil nurse, and wear your band aid with pride. Then take a look around at all the towering buildings and sidewalks of your new grown-up playground. Find the places that let you soar with the wind in your hair, seek out the giant slides that will challenge your fears, and embrace your fellow tree-hugging playmates. Remember that growing up never stops and being adult remains a life long mission.

And, by all means, jump onto every kiddie swing you can find. Just avoid doing so after visiting the many college drinking establishments meant to resemble Theme Parks!!

Sending you a hug, a kiss, and a band aid to store away until needed.

Pokey Puppy said...

amen to the 99% to 1% ratio sis

awww.. dude.. i miss ya.. glad your bloging again

Gigi said...

there are adult playgrounds its the mall!!!! LOL i know why can't they make theme parks cheaper...i can't afford to take my family there...but tell you what lets all us bloggers just find a park meet for the day and reach for the sky on the swings...lay under the sky and find clouds in the shapes of coach purses...shoes...whatever...