Monday, July 21, 2008

My Current Forms of Entertainment

Loverboy took me to a glorious book store last weekend. The store has 32 rooms each of which contains books of a different genre. Some of the books are used and others were just discounted for the sake of it. Nearly all books were 5% off but I was able to spy with my little eye the best discounts (thank you family for training me so well) and in the end I bought 4 books for $20.

What did I get? Well, I am a sucker for literature so I spent most of my time in that room (by the way I am still not exactly sure what constitutes as literature or not; I only know because I find my favorite books in that section). From that section I found Jane Eyre [by Charlotte Bronte]; Wuthering Heights [by Emily Bronte]; and Six Sherlock Holmes Mysteries [by Arthur Conan Doyle]. I read Jane Eyre several years ago and I remember liking it, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it is about so I am excited to read that. Her sister wrote Wuthering Heights and I am pretty sure it is her only book. With those to in my library I am set for countless nights filled with crying.

The fourth book Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules is a collection of short stories by different authors with an introduction to each by David Sedaris. He is responsible for many of my laughs in the past. If you have not yet, read Me Talk Pretty One Day. It is his first memoir. If it doesn't make you laugh give me a call so I can smack some sense into you.

One of the reasons I haven't blogged much this summer is because I have been reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It's set in 12th century England and it basically chronicles the lives of a family of builders, a monk, and an earl. Their lives are all intertwined in one way or another. The book gives a good insight into what life was like back then. There were so many things I never thought about before reading it. For instance, a girl becomes a woman in the book so another young woman gives her some cloth to bind herself. Where the hell are the Tampax??? A man in the story went his life without knowing who his father was until somebody told him 35 years later. Instead of having some form of a paternity test they just did a visual test. How would Maury Povich made a living back then??? Anyway, the book is nearly 1,000 pages, but each was worth turning.

I started a subscription to Netflix yesterday. If you have an account let's be friends! I want to see what movies you are watching so I can either steal your ideas or judge you based on your movie choices (I think I'm kidding, but you never know). I was shocked by the number of Watch Instantly choices were available. Unfortunately I could not install the movie player successfully. After trying to get it to work for a few minutes I decided to call Netflix Support. I talked to an employee for 55 minutes!!!! He tried so many different ideas and still we could not get it to work. Finally he suggested logging off of my profile and logging into the dummy profile my dad created on my computer and try installing the movie player there. It worked! Neither of us had any idea why, but at the point I had to let him go because I was on my cell phone and 55 minutes is precious to me.

No comments: