Friday, September 7, 2007

Finally, I (kinda) Know How to Add

While talking to my mom the other day, I noticed she was trying to hint that her and my dad might not be home for Thanksgiving this year. Her hint: "...work won't be too busy in November...your dad has business trips that month...I'll probably go with...so we might not be home for Thanksgiving." She's very subtle. Of course she decided to tell me this after I told her that I have Wed-Fri of school that week so I could actually fly home Tuesday night. Bubble burster. Later that night, after telling Loverboy and my roomies about my disappointment, they all invited me to their families' Thanksgiving celebrations. My frown turned upside down...temporarily. It's a little Catch-22 (one of Loverboy's favorite books, I personally dislike it) situation: if I go to Loverboy's parents house, my mom might get a little jealous; if I celebrate with one of my roomies, the other might get jealous; if I stay home...alone, I will be sad. Then I thought, maybe we could have something at our house. Yeah, we should have something at our house...I wonder if there is turkey flavored tofu. That is my worst idea ever!!! Celebrating Thanksgiving with vegetarians?!?!?! What is wrong with me?!?!?! Luckily Thanksgiving is over 2 months away so I have time to let everyone (other than the lucky family that gets to sit across from me at the dinner table) down slowly.

Speaking of me having silly thoughts...Yesterday, during my second calculus recitation, I was working a problem out on the board when the following happened:

(a little backstory) I work out all of the students' homework problems before the recitations so I am "prepared" for their questions. I have access to the answers to each problem, but I have to work them out myself (which isn't bad because I've been doing this stuff for years). Now to the story...there was one problem on the homework that I worked out several different ways and kept getting the same answer that was different than the solution given to me. Of course, the students asked me to work that problem out for them. I decided to be honest with them and I said, I had worked it out several times and I kept getting the wrong answer so I offered to show them what I did and asked that they check my work. They agreed so I wrote it all out and explained my reasoning for each step and I came up the same answer: x+17.

I asked the students if they could find anything wrong with what I did, and nobody could. I then proceeded to stand there for nearly a minute to check again. Then, I looked down at the answer sheet, and read the "correct" answer aloud, "Apparently, the correct answer is 12+x+5. I don't know what I...oh, heh, I know what I did...(under my breath) got this far without learning how to add." Lesson of the day: 12+x+5=x+17!!!!

2 comments:

Bee said...

You know what?
You could have told me the answer was "Turkey sandwich" and I would have believed you!

Anonymous said...

LOL!

That is really cute ;-)

As for Thanksgiving..If mom and dad are going to be gone then it's perfectly fine for you to join Lover boy. I mean..you are eventually going to to have to do that anyway. And once you have kids then it only gets worse figuring that all out ;-)